About Build a Better Board
Executive Service Corps of the Triangle (ESC) has assisted boards and candidates come together since 2006. Over the years, we have facilitated many successful matches through an electronic matching system as well as through in-person matches made at speed-dating events.
In 2016, ESC developed Build a Better Board, an enhanced web-based board matching program adding new features that our clients told us were important to them. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina provided a generous grant to develop the Build a Better Board proprietary software. We are proud to share this very effective matching tool with all nonprofits seeking board members and all individuals who seek to serve on nonprofit boards.
About Using Build a Better Board
Here are the steps to becoming a board member or finding the right candidate:
- Individuals and nonprofits each create profiles
- Nonprofits search for potential board members with needed skills
- Individuals search for appropriate board positions, considering their interests and skills
- Our sophisticated Build a Better Board algorithm program identifies prospective matches based on common skills and interests
- The site automatically notifies interested parties
- Individuals and nonprofits make their own final decisions
The Resources section of this website is designed to make the board matching process as effective as possible. Discover a wealth of educational materials for potential board members and organizations. Resources cover topics ranging from board member job descriptions and responsibilities to strategies for ongoing board engagement and recruitment.
About Executive Service Corps
Executive Service Corps of the Triangle (ESC) provides professional, affordable consulting to North Carolina Triangle nonprofits to help them achieve their missions. ESC’s services are provided by dedicated and experienced former executives who are committed to making a difference in their communities through pro bono work. Volunteer consultants come from a variety of management backgrounds in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors, government and academia.
ESC has been serving Triangle nonprofits since 1987 and is part of a national affiliate network, which spans major cities across the nation.
What ESC Provides
- Board Development
- Board Retreat Facilitation
- Guided Organizational Assessment
- Strategic Planning
- Executive Coaching
- Financial Assessment
- Collaboration Opportunities
- Board Matching
- Fundraising Planning
- Additional Services